I Didn't Expect This Merry Me Chicken Pasta Recipe with Spinach to Be So Good
I'll admit something: when I first decided to try this merry me chicken pasta recipe with spinach, I wasn't expecting to be completely won over.
I've made plenty of creamy chicken pasta recipes before. They're usually delicious, but after you've made a few versions, they can start to feel a little predictable. So when I kept seeing Marry Me Chicken-inspired pasta recipes everywhere, I wondered if this one would really be different.
Then I made it.
The smell of garlic and sundried tomato hitting the warm skillet was the first sign that I might have underestimated this recipe. Once the parmesan melted into the creamy sauce and the fresh spinach wilted into those beautiful ribbons of pasta, the whole kitchen smelled like a cozy Italian restaurant.
And that first bite?
That's when I understood the appeal.
The chicken was tender, the sauce was creamy without being flat, the sundried tomatoes added little bursts of sweet and tangy flavor, and the spinach gave everything a fresh contrast. It was comforting without feeling completely heavy.
Best of all, it was simple enough to become an easy weeknight dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure here to find out more.
What Is Merry Me Chicken Pasta with Spinach?
Traditional Marry Me Chicken is known for tender chicken cooked in a creamy parmesan sauce with garlic, herbs, and sundried tomatoes. The pasta version takes those same flavors and turns them into a complete meal.
For this recipe, I add fresh baby spinach toward the end of cooking. It wilts directly into the sauce, adding color and a little freshness to what is otherwise a rich and comforting dish.
The result is a creamy chicken pasta that feels special enough for a date night but is practical enough for a Tuesday evening when everyone is hungry and you don't want to spend an hour washing dishes.
Why This Merry Me Chicken Pasta Recipe with Spinach Works So Well
The Sundried Tomatoes Make a Huge Difference
If you've never cooked with sundried tomatoes in a creamy sauce, this is a great recipe to start with.
They have a concentrated tomato flavor that's slightly sweet, tangy, and savory. When they're sautéed with garlic, their flavor becomes even more pronounced and gives the cream sauce a depth that you simply don't get from cream and cheese alone.
I recommend using oil-packed sundried tomatoes. They are tender and flavorful, and you can even use a little of the seasoned oil to sauté the garlic and tomatoes.
Spinach Keeps the Dish Balanced
Fresh spinach might seem like a small addition, but it changes the character of the meal. It adds color, freshness, and a vegetable component without competing with the creamy parmesan sauce.
Baby spinach is especially convenient because you don't need to chop it. Just toss it into the skillet and let the residual heat gently wilt it.
Chicken Makes It Filling
The chicken turns this from a simple pasta dish into a satisfying, high protein dinner.
I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts here because they're easy to cut into bite-sized pieces and cook quickly. Chicken thighs also work beautifully if you prefer darker meat.
Ingredients You'll Need
This recipe makes approximately 6 servings.
For the Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Pasta and Sauce
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons oil from the sundried tomato jar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
How to Make This Easy Merry Me Chicken Pasta Recipe with Spinach
1. Season the Chicken
Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
I like to season the chicken before it touches the skillet rather than relying entirely on seasoning the finished sauce. It gives every piece of chicken its own flavor.
2. Sear the Chicken in a Large Skillet
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the seasoned chicken in a single layer. Cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Transfer the chicken to a clean plate.
Don't worry if there are browned bits left on the bottom of the skillet. Those little pieces are flavor waiting to become part of your sauce.
3. Cook the Garlic and Sundried Tomatoes
Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of the oil from the sundried tomato jar.
Add the minced garlic and chopped sundried tomatoes. Cook for about 60 seconds, stirring frequently.
You want the garlic fragrant but not browned. Burned garlic can quickly make a creamy sauce taste bitter.
4. Build the Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up those flavorful browned bits from the bottom.
Pour in the heavy cream and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and gradually stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts into a smooth sauce.
5. Add the Spinach
Add the fresh baby spinach a handful at a time.
At first, it may look like far too much spinach for the skillet. Don't worry. It will wilt dramatically within a couple of minutes.
Stir gently until the spinach is wilted and incorporated into the sauce.
6. Add the Pasta and Chicken
Cook the penne according to the package directions until al dente. Before draining, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Add the drained pasta and cooked chicken to the skillet. Toss everything together until the pasta is coated in the creamy sauce.
If the sauce is thicker than you'd like, add the reserved pasta water a tablespoon or two at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
Finish with fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes if you're using them.
My Favorite Kitchen Tools for This Recipe
This recipe doesn't require fancy equipment. In fact, one of the things I enjoy about it is that it feels achievable with the tools most home cooks already have.
However, a few kitchen tools can make the experience noticeably easier.
1. A Large Deep Skillet - Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
A roomy skillet is particularly useful because you're not just cooking chicken. You're eventually combining pasta, sauce, spinach, and chicken in the same pan.
I find that a 12-inch deep skillet gives me enough space to stir everything without accidentally sending sauce over the side.
If you're building a kitchen slowly, this is one piece of cookware I'd consider genuinely useful because it works for so many meals beyond this recipe.
2. Microplane Premium Zester/Grater
Freshly grated Parmesan is one of my favorite small upgrades for creamy pasta. It melts more smoothly into the sauce and gives you much better control over how finely the cheese is grated.
A Microplane-style grater is also useful for garlic, lemon zest, ginger, and other ingredients, so it isn't something you'll use only for Parmesan.
If your kitchen doesn't already have a fine grater, this is one of those inexpensive tools that can quietly become an everyday favorite.
3. Instant-Read Meat Thermometer - Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer Digital
Chicken is one ingredient where I don't like guessing. The easiest way to avoid both undercooked and overcooked chicken is to check its internal temperature.
An instant-read thermometer gives you that reassurance quickly. For this recipe, the chicken should reach 165°F in the thickest piece.
When I'm cooking dinner while also trying to get the rest of the meal finished, that little bit of certainty makes cooking feel much more relaxed.
Can You Make This a One Pot Merry Me Chicken Pasta?
Yes, although I personally prefer cooking the pasta separately when I want the best control over the sauce.
For a one pot version, sear the chicken in a large deep skillet and remove it. Sauté the garlic and sundried tomatoes, then add approximately 3 cups of chicken broth and 12 ounces of uncooked pasta.
Simmer gently, stirring frequently, until the pasta is almost tender. Add the cream and continue cooking until the pasta reaches al dente.
Stir in Parmesan, spinach, and the cooked chicken at the end.
The one-pot method is especially appealing on nights when the last thing you want is a sink full of dishes.
Is Merry Me Chicken Pasta with Spinach Healthy?
I wouldn't describe a creamy pasta dish as a "health food," but that doesn't mean it can't be part of a balanced diet.
This recipe has several nutritious ingredients, particularly the chicken and spinach. Chicken provides protein, while spinach contributes vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
If you want to make the meal lighter, there are several easy adjustments that don't require sacrificing all of the comfort that makes this dish special.
- Use whole-wheat pasta for more fiber.
- Choose high-protein pasta for an extra protein boost.
- Add another 2 cups of spinach.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms, or zucchini.
- Replace half of the heavy cream with half-and-half.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth.
- Keep the chicken portion generous and the pasta portion moderate.
For me, the healthiest approach isn't necessarily removing everything rich from a recipe. It's creating a meal where vegetables, protein, and carbohydrates all have a place on the plate.
How to Make It a High Protein Dinner
If you're specifically looking for a high protein pasta dinner, this recipe is easy to adapt.
Start with the 1 1/2 pounds of chicken in the recipe. You can also substitute regular pasta with a higher-protein pasta if that fits your preferences.
Adding extra spinach and vegetables increases the volume of the meal without relying entirely on more pasta or cream.
The result is a comforting dinner that feels substantial rather than leaving you hungry again an hour later.
My Best Tips for Perfect Results
Don't Crowd the Chicken
If the chicken pieces are packed tightly into the skillet, they'll steam instead of developing that beautiful golden color. Cook in batches if necessary.
Use Freshly Grated Parmesan
It makes a noticeable difference in a cream sauce. Grate it finely so it melts easily.
Keep the Sauce at a Gentle Simmer
A rolling boil isn't necessary. Gentle heat helps keep the cream sauce smooth.
Save the Pasta Water
That starchy water is incredibly useful for loosening a thick sauce and helping it cling to the pasta.
Add Spinach Near the End
This keeps the spinach from becoming overly soft and helps preserve its fresh flavor and color.
What to Serve With This Comfort Food Pasta
Because the sauce is creamy and rich, I like serving this comfort food pasta with something fresh or lightly acidic.
A simple green salad with lemon vinaigrette is one of my favorites. Roasted broccoli, asparagus, or green beans also work beautifully.
And if you're having one of those evenings when comfort is exactly what you need, a little garlic bread alongside the pasta is completely understandable.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
The sauce will thicken considerably once chilled, so don't be concerned if the leftovers look less creamy the next day.
When reheating, add a splash of chicken broth, milk, or water. Warm the pasta gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce becomes creamy again.
I prefer reheating it on the stovetop because it's easier to control the temperature, but the microwave works perfectly well for a quick lunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken thighs?
Absolutely. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are delicious in this recipe and tend to remain especially juicy.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Yes. Thaw it completely and squeeze out as much excess water as possible before adding it to the sauce.
Can I make this recipe without heavy cream?
Yes. Half-and-half can be used for a lighter sauce. Keep the heat gentle because dairy-based sauces are more likely to separate when aggressively boiled.
What pasta works best?
Penne is my first choice because the tubes hold onto the creamy sauce. Rigatoni, bow ties, rotini, or shells are also excellent options.
Can I make this gluten-free?
Yes. Use your preferred gluten-free pasta and check the labels on your broth, seasonings, and other packaged ingredients.
Can I make it spicy?
Definitely. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for a gentle heat, or increase it if you enjoy spicy pasta.
Final Thoughts
I started making this recipe because I was curious about the viral Marry Me Chicken trend. I finished making it because I genuinely wanted another bowl.
That doesn't happen with every recipe I test.
What surprised me most about this merry me chicken pasta recipe with spinach wasn't simply how creamy it was. It was how all the flavors worked together. The rich parmesan sauce needed the brightness of the sundried tomatoes. The tender chicken made it satisfying. The spinach brought freshness and color.
And somehow, all of those ingredients came together without making dinner complicated.
That's what I look for in a great weeknight dinner: something that feels homemade and comforting, but doesn't require me to spend the entire evening in the kitchen.
Whether you make it traditionally in a skillet or simplify cleanup with the one pot method, I think this is one viral recipe that deserves the attention it's getting.
And if you're like me and weren't expecting to love it quite this much, don't be surprised when everyone asks when you're making it again.









Comments
Post a Comment